Welcome to the Northeast Church of Christ website.
We are glad you want to find out more about our congregation and what we stand for, which is truth and righteousness based on the Bible.
At Northeast, we follow no manmade creeds, nor do we add to or take away from the worship God has authorized though His Holy Word. That means we assemble on the first day of every week to observe the Lord’s Supper and have preaching and teaching, a cappella singing, prayer, and a monetary offering.
The Northeast Church of Christ met for the first time September 10, 1978. Since then she has been engaged in evangelizing the world. Malcolm Hill preached for the congregation since it began until 2012, and Paul Wilmoth worked with him from 1983. Current elders are Oliver Anderson, David Hill, and Michael Wheeler. The current minister is Paul Wilmoth; assistant minister, David Hill.
Those who attend the Northeast church know it to be active in many areas of the Lord’s work. The congregation has an excellent Bible school program and staff, and the elders demand much of the Bible school teachers.
The Northeast congregation, located in Cookeville, Tennessee, is also very supportive of the work of Tennessee Bible College, a school that is dedicated to training Bible preachers and Christian workers in Bible doctrine, apologetics, and evangelism. TBC students can earn a bachelor’s degree in religious education, master’s and doctorate degrees in theology, or a two-year preaching diploma. Hundreds of good gospel preachers and Christian workers have been educated at TBC and have gone into the world preaching and teaching Christ.
The Northeast Church of Christ and Tennessee Bible College have been and still are partners in world evangelism, working to get the gospel into such places as Africa, the Caribbean Island, the South Pacific Islands, Russia, and China.
We hope you will join us when you are in our area as we strive to worship God in spirit and in truth. You will not be entertained by dramatic performances, professional solo singing, musical instruments or the like. Pleasing the Lord is our sole purpose at Northeast, and we do so with joyful hearts.
SOME THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW…
You should know that the church is:
- built by Jesus Christ (Matt. 16:13-18)
- purchased by the blood of Christ (Acts 20:28)
- built on Jesus Christ as the only foundation (I Cor. 3:11)
- not built on Peter, Paul, or any other man (I Cor. 1:12-13)
- composed of the saved, who are added to it by the Lord who saves them (Acts 2:47)
You should know that the Lord Jesus Christ:
- loved the church (Eph. 5:25)
- shed His blood for the church (Acts 20:28)
- established the church (Matt. 16:18)
- added saved people to the church (Acts 2:47)
- is the head of the church (Eph. 1:22-23; 5:23)
- will save the church (Acts 2:47; Eph. 5:23)
You should know that to enter the church you must:
- believe in Jesus Christ (Heb. 11:6; John 8:24; Acts 16:31)
- repent of your sins (Luke 13:3; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 17:30)
- confess faith in Jesus (Matt. 10:32; Acts 8:37; Rom. 10:9-10)
- be baptized (Matt. 28:19; Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; 10:48; 22:16)
You should know that by baptism:
- you are saved from sins (Mark 16:16; I Pet. 3:21)
- you have remission of sins (Acts 2:38)
- sins are washed away by the blood of Christ (Acts 22:16; Heb. 9:22; 10:22; I Pet. 3:21
- you enter into the church (I Cor. 12:13; Acts 2:41, 47)
- you enter into Christ (Gal. 3:26-27; Rom. 6:3-4)
- you put on Christ and become a child of God (Gal. 3:26-27)
- you are born again, a new creature (Rom. 6:3-4; II Cor. 5:17)
- you walk in newness of life (Rom. 6:3-6)
- you obey Christ (Mark 16:15-16; Acts 10:48; II Thess. 1:7-9)
You should know that the faithful church will:
- worship in spirit and in truth (John 4:23-24)
- meet on the first day of the week (Acts 20:7; Heb. 10:25)
- pray (James 5:16; Acts 2:42; I Tim. 2:1-2; I Thess. 5:17)
- sing, making melody with the heart (Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16)
- eat the Lord’s supper on the first day of each week (Acts 2:42; 20:7; Matt. 26:26-30; I Cor. 11:20-32)
- give liberally and cheerfully (I Cor. 16:1-2; II Cor. 8:1-5; 9:6-8)
You should know that the same church today:
- is guided by the same Word (I Pet. 1:22-25; II Tim. 3:16-17)
- contends for the one faith (Jude 3; Eph. 4:5)
- pleads for unity of all believers (John 17:20-21; Eph. 4:4-6)
- is not a denomination (I Cor. 1:10-13; Eph. 4:1-6)
- is faithful to Christ (Luke 6:46; Rev. 2:10; Mark 8:38)
- wears the name of Christ (Rom. 16:16; Acts 11:26; I Pet. 4:16)
You should know that the local church has:
- elders (also called bishops and pastors) who oversee and tend the flock (I Tim. 3:17; Titus 1:5-9; I Pet. 5:1-4)
- deacons who serve the church (I Tim. 3:8-13; Phil. 1:1)
- evangelists (preachers, ministers) who teach and proclaim the Word of God (Eph. 4:11; I Tim. 4:13-16; II Tim. 4:1-5)
- members who love the Lord and each other
- autonomy, and is bound to other local churches only by the common faith shared (Jude 3; Gal. 5:1)
Please take a look at our collection of tracts that present a biblical view on a wide range of topics including abortion, fellowship, Calvinism, homosexuality, marriage, the home and family, the name worn by the Lord’s church, euthanasia, prayer, nakedness and modesty, instrumental music, and many more topics.
Also in our collection of bulletins you will find a wide range of subjects covered.